|Erin Brockovich Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||June 22, 1960|
Erin Brockovich is a renowned American advocate and environmental activist. Although she did not have any formal education in law, she played a leading role in building a case against the Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) of California in 1993. Erin and her law firm alleged contamination of drinking water with hexavalent chromium in the town of Hinkley, California. The 1952-built Hinkley compressor station, part of a natural-gas pipeline, was at the center of this controversy. From 1952 to 1966, PG&E used hexavalent chromium in a cooling tower system of the compressor station, as a measure to fight corrosion. The wastewater from this cooling tower system was often discharged to ponds near the site. Gradually, this wastewater percolated into the groundwater, thereby affecting areas near the plant.
This case was ultimately decided, 30 years later, in 1996, for USD 333 million. At the time, it was the largest settlement paid in a direct-action lawsuit in American history. Masry & Vititoe, where Erin worked as a legal clerk, received USD 133.6 million. Erin herself received a bonus of USD 2.5 million. Erin’s work in this litigation inspired the 2000 feature film, Erin Brockovich, where Julia Roberts played the titular character. Since then, Erin has made a foray into the world of the media as well. She hosted the TV series Challenge America with Erin Brockovich and Final Justice. She is the president of Brockovich Research & Consulting. Erin has also done consultancy work for Girardi & Keese, a law firm that focuses on personal injury claims from asbestos exposure. She also works with Shine Lawyers in Australia. She is also a consumer advocate for those affected by medical drugs and devices.
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Erin graduated from Lawrence High School and attended Kansas State University. She also obtained an Associate in Applied Arts Degree from Wade College in Dallas.
Consumer Advocate, Environmental Activist, Legal Clerk, Media Personality, Public Speaker
- Father – Frank Pattee (Industrial Engineer) (1924–2011)
- Mother – Betty Jo (Journalist) (1923–2008)
- Siblings – Frank Jr. Pattee (Brother), Thomas Pattee (Older Brother) (1954–1992), Jodie Knight (Sister)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Erin has dated –
- Shawn Brown (1982–1987) – Erin got married to restaurant manager turned actor Shawn Brown in 1982. They have a son named Matthew (b. 1983) and a daughter named Katie (b. 1985). The couple got divorced in December 1987. In 2000, Shawn blackmailed Erin, threatening to tell the world that she was involved in an affair with her boss and demanded USD 310,000. Shawn was later arrested on extortion charges.
- Steven Brockovich (1989-1990) – In 1989, Erin married stockbroker Steven Michael Brockovich. They had met when Erin was working as a secretary at a brokerage firm in Reno, California. The marriage did not survive very long, but the couple did have a daughter named Elizabeth (b. 1991). Steven once sued her for defamation. He accused Erin of spreading misinformation about him in the media.
- Eric L. Ellis (1998-2012) – Erin married actor Eric L. Ellis in 1998. The couple eventually split in 2012.
Race / Ethnicity
- Tall height
- Oval face
Erin has endorsed numerous brands such as AquaTru Water Purification System and Shine Lawyers.
Best Known For
Her activism and her continued fight against environmental pollution. People across the United States look up to her and contact her for advice whenever they feel the effects of environmental/industrial hazards affecting their lives.
In 2000, Erin made her theatrical film debut as a waitress in Erin Brockovich.
First TV Show
Erin made her first TV show appearance as “Herself” in 2001 on the crime documentary series American Justice.
Erin tries to fit in a workout routine in her busy schedule. She makes it a point to attempt walking up to 3 floors when she is in any building. She used to have a trainer earlier and continues to maintain a gym at home.
Erin naturally tends to eat more fruits and vegetables. Whenever she feels out of shape, she falls back on a pattern of ‘two-week diet, 2 weeks running, and 2 weeks abdominal crunch’.
Erin Brockovich Favorite Things
- Clothing – Jeans, Bustier, Blazer, Boots, Cut-off shorts, Leather Pants
- Designer – Bradley Bayou
- Fashion Brands – Prada and Giorgio Armani
- Way To Relax– She loves boating with family and friends.
Source – TheGentlewoman.co.uk, NY Post
Erin Brockovich Facts
- She worked for a few months as a management trainee for Kmart in 1981.
- She soon entered a beauty pageant and won Miss Pacific Coast in 1981.
- In the past, she was seriously injured in an accident in Reno. To fight her case, she hired Masry & Vititoe. They won her a small settlement but it was not enough to ease her financial troubles. It was then that she joined their law firm as a file clerk. This is where, while organizing papers, Erin first found medical records that led her to the PG&E case.
- The 2000 film Erin Brockovich received 5 Academy Awards nominations. Julia Roberts won the award for “Best Actress” for the titular role.
- Erin published a New York Times bestseller book in 2001 titled Take It From Me: Life’s a Struggle But You Can Win.
- She received the title of ‘Honorary Doctor of Laws’ from Lewis & Clark Law School, Portland, Oregon in May 2005.
- Erin received the title of ‘Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters’ from Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, on May 5, 2007.
- She has also received the title of ‘Honorary Master of Arts, Business Communication’, from Jones International University, Centennial, Colorado.
- Erin is dyslexic. She turns the addresses received on her mails into something visual by placing them on a map.
- Erin has continued her environment and anti-pollution advocacy even after 2000. Some of her high profile cases include the fight against Whitman Corporation against chromium contamination in California, lawsuit against Prime Tanning Corp. over chromium-related brain tumors in Missouri, and battling high chromium contamination in the water of Midland, Texas.
- She has appeared in numerous TV series and documentaries as “Herself”. She had an extensive role in the 2011 documentary Last Call at the Oasis, which focused on water pollution, water scarcity, and water policy in the United States.
- Erin had recorded voice-over work for The Simpsons Movie (2007), but the scenes were deleted.
- She is a confessed shopaholic.
- Visit her official website @ brockovich.com.
- Follow her on Facebook and Twitter.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0